Saturday 8 March 2014

The Bookworm Tag

I did an A-Z of Books last month but just before Christmas I also spotted this lovely Bookworm Tag over on Jen's Bows Bangles and Bakes blog.

 
Children's books - Bookworm Tag




Do you remember how you developed a love for reading?
Not really, I just remember always reading books. Every holiday we went on would contain a huge bag of books for me to read plus I used to pick up lots of extras in charity shops. I suppose, when I worked in my school library, that probably helped secure a love of books and reading.


Where do you usually read?
I'd like to say in bed and relaxing at home, but the reality is I only seem to have time to read on holiday and occasionally at work during lunchtime.


Do you prefer to read one book at a time or several at once?
I do tend to read a couple at a time but they're usually one fiction and one non-fiction.
Oh, and a few magazines as well!


What is your favourite genre?
Probably anything written for children or young adults along with travel writing and novels about history.


Is there a genre you will not read?
As someone training to be a librarian, I'd never say never to anything but I really can't get on with Westerns and Science Fiction.


Do you have a favourite book?
A three-way tie between Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin, Junk by Melvin Burgess and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.


What is your least favourite book?
I don't really have an answer for this; anything I really didn't like reading, I've probably forgotten!


What is the longest book you have ever read?
Apart from textbooks, I think The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova was almost 800 pages long.


What was the last book you bought?
I don't very often buy books but I did just buy (as an e-book) a recently published book about infertility -
The Pursuit of Motherhood by Jessica Hepburn.


Do you prefer library books or buying books?
Library books, definitely. My strategy is to get things from the library first and then if it's something I like enough to want to own, I'll add it to my Christmas and Birthday list.


What are you currently reading?
I've just started Ghost Children by Sue Townsend (on the advice of the lovely Janet from Words That Can Only Be Your Own)


Where do you buy your books?
I don't (see my answer a couple of questions above!).


Do you ever pre-order books?
Nah!


How many books do you buy a month?
Very few...


Do you use your local library?
Yep, but not as often as I'd like. The area where I live allows you to borrow and return from anywhere in Somerset, Bath and North East Somerset, North Somerset, South Gloucestershire and Bristol so I usually end up using libraries in other towns rather than the one down my own high street.


What do you think of library books?
Love 'em.


How do you feel about second hand charity shop books?
There's nothing wrong with them, I used to buy loads of books from charity shops when I was younger and I still usually have a browse nowdays.


Do you keep your read and to be read books together?
No, I have a pile of 'to be read' books next to my side of the bed, along with all my library books.
All the 'read' books or reference books are on bookshelves elsewhere in the house.


Do you plan to read all the books you own?
Hah, probably not! We do seem to have a lot of reference books (mainly about trains, engineering and history) which I don't plan to ever read thoroughly.


What do you do with books you own that you know won't be re-read?
It depends. If they're being kept for reference, then they get shelved with similar books in the house. If it's something I've read once but don't need to keep, then it usually goes to the charity shop.


Have you ever donated books?
Yep, there's usually a few in the bags we send to the charity shops.


Have you ever been on a book buying ban?
Nope, because I very rarely actually buy books.


Do you think you own too many books?
Probably, yes!



Feel free to give it a go yourself and hop on over to the lovely Jen's blog for a nosy at her original answers. :-)
 

4 comments:

  1. Junk I think was the book that really got me back into reading - it was the first of Melvin Burgess's books that I read and it just hooked me from the off. I'm not really one to reread books but i've reread Junk a couple of times, it's timeless and just draws me in the same way it did the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I've re-read it several times as a teen, in my 20s and in my 30s and I'm still hooked by the storyline - it's such a good book! :-) xx

      Delete
  2. I think I may have to answer these questions myself! I, personally, really didn't like Wuthering Heights but everyone is different :) I really like your blog and have nominated you for the Leibster Award over on my blog. Please let me know if you do the post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you! I will do the Liebster Award questions, although it might be in a few weeks time. Thank you! :-) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...