Friday 9 May 2014

#BEDM Day 9 - Motivation


Day 9 of Rosalilium’s 'Blog Every Day in May' Challenge

This was actually a prompt during last year's Blog Every Day in November challenge. I found it a difficult one then and ended up writing something waffly about how I just like learning about life.

And although it's the truth, if you strip the idea of learning new things back even further, it always comes down to money.

Not in a kind of "money, money, money" rubbing-your-hands-together kind of way, but in a "money as enabler" kind of way.

Bridlington tourist poster
I kind of like to think of myself as the girl in the poster with the orange scarf - eager at the idea of all the possibilities out there!


I love doing stuff, I love learning stuff, I love travelling and I love exploring new places and meeting new people. And unfortunately a large amount of those things come down to having a few pennies (and pounds) squirrelled away.

And it's a complete cliche but yep, going to work essentially is putting a roof over our heads, food on our table and having a bit left over to enjoy ourselves with. We've become very boring because we do have sensible grown-up things like savings accounts and pensions - mainly because we want to be able to carry on doing fun things til we're really old (whether our bodies will let us remains to be seen...).

So yeah, I suppose what motivates me is the prospect of being able to use my leftover pennies to go out and explore the world!

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree. I wish I had a job that motivated me because I enjoyed it (I know a lot of people that do) but I go for the paycheque so I can fund all the lovely things I want to do in my free time, like going out for dinner with friends, and going on holiday whenever we can. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's what it comes down to though, however much anyone enjoys their job, I don't think there's very many people who'd do it if they didn't get paid! :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Money as an enabler is a pretty good motivator. I always thought mine was money but it really isn't, I think mine is learning. I want to always be learning and I'm pretty satisfied.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd agree with that, I don't know what it'd be like to be someone who wasn't interested in learning new stuff! :-) xx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...