Sunday 18 May 2014

#BEDM Day 18 - Museum Day


Day 18 of Rosalilium’s 'Blog Every Day in May' Challenge

Me and Andrew are quite the fans of weird, wacky and wonderful little musuems; if there's something with a niche interest (especially if it's free), then we'll be there.

One of our favourite little discoveries is at Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye - the Giant Angus MacAskill Museum. Yep, back in the 1800s there was an actual giant who stomped around the sleepy islands of Scotland.

Giant Angus McAskill Musuem, Isle of Skye


I first went there in the early 90s with my parents on holiday and then when I dragged Andrew on a two week trip round Scotland back in 2009, I went on and on about this place - he thought I was joking and then I walked him through the door!

Giant Angus McAskill Musuem, Isle of Skye


It's only a small museum; 90% of the time there isn't even a member of staff or volunteer, just an suggested donation, honesty box and guest book. We left the appropriate amount and signed the book and then I only had to flick back 10 or so pages to find the comment I'd left as a teenager about 15 years earlier.

There's a huge amount of information about Angus, lots of models and bits and pieces he had in his house. I'm pretty sure there's even a life size replica of his coffin!

Giant Angus McAskill Musuem, Isle of Skye


If you ever find yourself on the Isle of Skye, the musuem is definitely well worth a visit.



Any recommendations for other strange and bizarre places to investigate?

2 comments:

  1. How fantastic! Although I feel sad that they've had so few visitors in the years since you were a teen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's so sad, the place definitely deserves more visitors (although, I'll admit, it is a bit off the beaten track...) :-) xxx

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...