Saturday 24 May 2014

#BEDM Day 24 - Healthy Living


Day 24 of Rosalilium’s 'Blog Every Day in May' Challenge


Today's theme is healthy living; there was a similar theme during last year's BEDM month and as I mentioned there, the phrase that governs my life when it comes to living healthily is Petronius' Paradox...


Everything in moderation, including moderation.


In practice, this includes everything to do with keeping healthy. The sad truth is, life really is too short and I'd much rather have that Domino's or extra slice of cake and enjoy it, just I won't do it every day.

Healthy living - fruit


I don't belong to a gym but do try and stay active - years ago our grandparents didn't go in for £30 a month expensive exercise subscriptions, all they did was live an active lifestyle and there's so many ways that can be done without shelling out a fortune.

When Andrew's dad spent 6 weeks in hospital with a ruptured oesophagus back at the beginning of the year, the consultants kept remarking on the fact that he was very fit and healthy. They told him that someone unhealthy half his age (he's 73) would have probably died. My father-in-law has never been near a gym in his life - all he's done is just kept doing stuff.

The whole adage about "your body is a machine" is completely true; think of it like a car - you need to keep it oiled, running and serviced but you don't want to run it into the ground and do 100,000 miles in the first year, else it'll wear out and fail too quickly.

I think our bodies are exactly like that - we need to do enough to keep our heart, lungs and vital organs functioning properly but not do so much that our joints and muscles wear out before we're 50.

I think it's a shame that so many people constantly strive to change their bodies, I know I'm always going to have hips and boobs, I like my curves and personally, I don't think I'd suit being very thin. If you're not happy with what you've got, then by all means have a go at changing it but not at the expense of being happy with the rest of your life because (to repeat the cliche) life is just too short.

I'm not sure where this blog post is going really - it's just been a bit of musing over the idea of living a healthy life!

4 comments:

  1. I've never thought of the gym that way before. I'm not a member because I hate exercise and don't want to spend all that money every month; I'm trying to use housework as cardio instead because it has double the benefits (cleaner carpet and fewer wobbly bits! :p) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, every bit of housework counts! Even better if you do it to music and throw a few moves at the same time :-) xxx

      Delete
  2. Great post Duck :) I agree that being sensible is the best way to be healthy, you can really do some damage aswell by being super over the top x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Rosie! Definitely being sensible is the way to go :-) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...