Saturday 2 November 2013

Day 2 - Something You Made

Day 2 of Rosalilium's blog every day in November challenge
Something You Made
 


(Share something you made - it can be a craft, a recipe, your latest DIY attempt, your babies, a home remedy or even your local community group. Interpret any way you like!)



Before I start, apologies again, I did say yesterday that I'd be mentioning a lot of Carnival-related things.

So tonight is Bridgwater Carnival, biggest illuminated Carnival in the world and over the last 9 years, something I've made is quite simply, Carnival floats. I've painted designs, jig-sawed wood, sewn sequins and fabric, helped choreograph dance routines and opened and inserted hundred of thousands of light bulbs.

What I've Sewn

What I've Painted

What I've Painted


As it happens, the Carnival club I'm a member of aren't taking part this year so yesterday me and Andrew, my dad and brother all headed down to Bridgwater to watch the firework display and look at some of the last minute preparations. Many Carnival clubs operate an "open door" policy the night before Bridgwater meaning that anyone can have a peek inside at what's being built.

Bristol Road Carnival Sheds
Behind all of these shed doors, are hundreds of people working away...


While you all might have been tucked up in your cosy beds last night, there was thousands of people across Somerset pulling all-nighters (fulled by Pro-Plus and Red Bull) in order to get their club's float finished before the procession takes place at 7.15pm this evening.

Griffens Carnival Club

Bridgwater Guy Fawkes Carnival Float

Renegades Carnival Club

Marketeers Carnival Club

Gremlins Carnival

British Flag Carnival Club



If you're at a loose end this evening and you're within travelling distance of Somerset, wrap up warm and get yourself down to Bridgwater for one of the most amazing sights you'll probably ever see.
As the organisers put it - "seeing is believing!"

Carnival Shop Closed Sign


See you tomorrow for #BEDN Day 3!
 

18 comments:

  1. That's a pretty spectacular make! Wow!! Your posts are always full of so much doing and making and seeing - so much fun :)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Beth! I didn't really think I had such a full life until I started a blog! :-) x

      Delete
  2. Nice post. I didn't even know that Somerset had a carnival. What's the occasion? Or is it just tradition now... how fun :)
    Claire xx
    http://somewhereyonder.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Claire. It's a tradition which can trace it's roots back to the 1605 Gunpowder Plot and it's been taking place each year across Somerset and the surrounding areas in it's current form since 1881. I've tried to do a potted history of it here (http://duck-in-a-dress.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/why-i-love-autumn.html) if you fancy a look :-) x

      Delete
  3. I knew nothing about carnival season until you started blogging about it, I think these local traditions are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely seems to be a well-kept secret in the UK (despite the fact there's thousands of people involved and it generating millions for the SW economy each year). It's a very fun tradition though and I'm all for promoting it in any shape or form! :-) x

      Delete
  4. I think it's great you're so involved in something so spectaculair and unique. Like Janet I knew nothing about carnival season before you started blogging about it and I'm so glad you did, it sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I don't know anywhere in the world that has a Carnival season quite like South West England! :-) x

      Delete
  5. That is absolutely awesome, what a great thing to be involved with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachael! I love being involved with it (even if there are occassions when you're wearing a skimpy outfit, in the middle of November, freezing cold and soaking wet in the rain...). Sometime we all wonder if we're mad, but we still do it anyway! :-) x

      Delete
    2. I've just come across this blog. I'm with Griffens and I agree with you. we must be mad to do it but it's part of the fun. Can't wait for this year's carnival and It's still 7 months and 3 days away. You've got to love carnival.xx

      Delete
    3. Absolutely! I think it definitely takes a certain type of (mad) person to be involved with it - but I'm very glad that so many of us want to do it! :-) x

      Delete
  6. I love all your Carnival posts--the floats are more magical than Disney. They're made much more special by knowing that it's ordinary people rather than a huge corporation who put together these incredible displays! Love the dress xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, that's a lovely thing to say (and I know lots of people who would be well chuffed to hear that they were better than Disney's!). It's a lot of hard work all year round but when you're performing on a float, or watching them go past you; it's definitely all worth it. :-) x

      Delete
  7. Wow what amazing things to help make!Thanks for your comment on my blog. Hope youre enjoying blogging everyday.

    www.ciderwithsophie.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like an amazing festival - and you did so much towards it. You must be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a great thing to be involved with - so much fun! :-) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...