Friday 20 September 2013

Aberystwyth Thrifting

Last week in Aberystwyth we were supposed to spend most of the week studying but luckily one lecture on Thursday afternoon was cancelled so I used the time wisely and had a scout around the charity shops.
 
Aberystwyth has a nice collection of chariy shops; some big high street names, a couple of little local charities and one huge craft/charity/upcycling shop based in the train station.
 
I picked up a couple of gorgeous vintage-looking trays which simply needed a quick wash. Andrew reliably tells me they're fibreglass so I don't really know how old they are but they look the part anyway.
 
Vintage trays
 
 
I also collected an old dress pattern. I often see sewing patterns in charity shops but they're usually designs of clothes I'm not too keen on. I thought I'd get this one though as it's just a simple (ha!) summer dress which hopefully can be adapted whichever way I want. All I need to do now is actually make something - I have some fabric, I have a pattern, I just need some time!
 
Dres pattern
 
 
And I found this sweatshirt-style top hanging on the rails of a high street charity shop - it's got polka dots! and a dog! It's supposed to be designed for teenagers (it says 16 years on the label) and I'm almost twice that age but I love it anyway. For some reason it reminds me of a sort of French style, I'm not really sure why!?
 
Dog sweatshirt
 
 
If you ever find yourself in Aberystwyth, the one shop to visit is Craft, the massive charity shop in the station. It's partly built into the old station buildings and is a treasure trove of clothes, trinkets, homewares and furniture.

Craft Aberystwyth

Craft Aberystwyth

Craft Aberystwyth

 
There were way too many things I could have bought - if only I hadn't had a 5 hour train journey in front of me!
 

8 comments:

  1. Superb bargain hunting :o)
    Those trays are fab and the sweater is so so cute!
    M x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! The other half just shook his head when I brought the sweater home :-) x

      Delete
  2. Your trays are so cute, they look really nice! Maybe the sweater looks French because of the colour combination? It looks Frech to me too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might be it! I also wondered if the bow round the dogs neck was a little bit French-looking - whatever it is, I do like it anyway! :-)x

      Delete
  3. Loving those trays and I would love a look around that charity shop too - looks like my kind of place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a great charity shop - I think if I lived in Aberystwyth I'd end up spending far too much money there! :-) x

      Delete
  4. Those trays are lovely! Nice finds! xx

    Janelle
    http://amintdaydream.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...