Saturday 28 September 2013

A Vintage Home From Home

You all probably know by now that Andrew has a vintage lorry - a 1952 diesel Scammell lorry which used to belong to a fairground showman called Joseph Heal from Bristol. Back then it would've towed several trailers (similar to the one below) containing bits of fairground rides and also a showmans caravan.

Scammell and Box Truck
Source (left): National Fairground Archive
Source (right): My lovely sister-in-law
 

Now you might be able to see where this is going; we have the lorry but not the caravan. When we take the lorry to steam rallies we have to share a modern caravan with Andrew's mum and dad.
They're lovely people, but, well, it's just not the same as having your own space.

I would really really like a vintage caravan of some sort, even a shepherds hut would be okay, but for the moment (until we do some work on our garden and driveway) we haven't really got the space for anything.

Carters Steam Fair Caravans
Source: all my own pictures, taken at Carters Steam Fair in Victoria Park, Bath

 

I'll just have to be content with browsing and lusting after caravans and interiors on Pinterest!
 

Vintage Caravans
 Source: Mitchell and Dent

Vintage Caravans
 Source (top): Old Classic Car Forum
Source (bottom): Snail Trail

Vintage Caravans
 Source: Trade Me

Vintage Caravans
 Source: Vintage Festival

Mechanics Magazine
 Source: All Posters


Ha, if only!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. I was going to say 'Oh I really love the exterior and interior of the mint-coloured one!' when I saw the first caravan you found on Pinterest. And then they all turned out to be mint-coloured! I've never been one for camping on holidays, but these caravans look super cute! Now I want to go out, get one and fine a nice camping place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even realise that, but yep, you're right, they are all mint-coloured!
      That's obviously going to have to be the colour when we finally get one :-) x

      Delete
  2. I really want a caravan! Mostly because I have already filled our house to bursting with colourful cushions, blankets, and picnicware- and a caravan is more fun to play with extra stuff in than our loft! :p xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I think that's a perfectly valid reason for getting a caravan :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I had too many traumatic caravan holidays as a kid to ever want to own one, but I can still appreciate the prettiness of these caravans! I'm sure I've seen that mint-roof/bunting one in photoshoots in magazines before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that picture's probably been around quite a few places!
      My mum and dad used to have a motorcaravan and if I had to have something modern, I'd much rather have that (as I'm not that keen on modern caravans). One day we'll get our own vintage van though! :-) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...