Saturday 1 June 2013

Book Review - Clandestine Cake Club

A couple of weeks ago I went with some friends to a fabulous evening talk (complete with cake) all about the launch of the Cladestine Cake Club's first book.

Clandestine Cake Club Book

 
On the night all the guests were given the opportunity to buy the book at a reduced price and get it signed. Although I love flicking through cookery books, I wouldn't usually buy a cookbook unless I was certain there was a large amount of good photographs and lots of recipes that I actually want to try.

Clandestine Cake Club

 
After perusing the pretty pages of the Clandestine Cake Club's book, I came to the conclusion that it fitted my own self-imposed rules and duly handed over my coins and trotted off to get it signed by Lynn Hill and Anita Mangan.
 
Clandestine Cake Club Book
 
Clandestine Cake Club Book
 
 
The book contains 120 recipes from basic sponge cakes to more complicated luxury cakes. The majority of recipes are beautifully styled and photographed showing what the finished cakes will look like. I've only tried two recipes so far - Mocha Marble Cake and Cherry Cake - but both recipes were easy to follow, had straightforward ingredients and took exactly the same amount of time in the oven as actually stated in the book!
 
Clandestine Cake Club Book
 
 
The Mocha Marble Cake was made for the birthday of a friend at work and was enjoyed by the whole office and my friend's 14 year old son who promptly declared it "the best cake he'd ever eaten!"

Clandestine Cake Club Chocolate Marble Cake

Clandestine Cake Club Chocolate Marble Cake

Clandestine Cake Club Chocolate Marble Cake

 
The Cherry Cake was made to take along to last weekend's steam rally where it was shared out over a picnic blanket in the sunshine.

Clandestine Cake Club Cherry Cake
 

Definately a recommended book - I'm looking forward to trying out more delicious cake recipes from it!
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Oh they look absolutely delicious! I can't resist buying cookery books when they have gorgeous pictures. I've had to call it a quit on buying cake books because I never actually make cake unless it's someones birthday in the family. I don't allow myself to buy a new book until I made most of the recipes I already have.

    Oh man, I really wish I could taste my screen right now, your cakes look so incredibly good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! x

      That sounds like a good plan to have! I try and make cakes for family birthdays, work birthdays and holidays and days out but I still seem to have a pile of recipes waiting to be tried! :-) x

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...