Thursday 11 December 2014

A Knitted Advent Calendar

 
This year, using my fantabulous new-found knitting skills, I decided I'd knit 24 little stockings. I had this vague idea that I could hang them up in a row somewhere and then I could pop a chocolate in each one for Andrew and he could pop something in each one for me.
 
I searched around on t'internet and tried to find a fairly easy looking pattern but then I stumbled across one in Homemaker Magazine (issue 25), originally designed for making little cutlery holders. The design was no different; the only change I'd be making is filling them with chocolate and not irons! 
 
Knitted advent stockings
 
 
I got started making them in November but I've still got about 4 left to make; they will all be done by the 24th, just at the moment we've got spaces at the end of our bunting.
 
I used fairly cheap DK wool in green, red and cream from our local Shaws the Draper shop and knitted them on 4mm needles. I don't think I can reproduce the pattern here (I'm guessing that would probably infringe some copyright law) but you could use any pattern for a sock or stocking. If you really want the pattern I used, drop me an email and I'll see what I can do.
 
Once I'd knitted them, we bought some red cord from a craft shop, some cheap pegs from Wilkinsons, a pack of 10 felt sheets from Poundland and I found some Christmas washi tape in my stack of stuff from last year.
 
Knitted advent stockings
 
 
I decorated the pegs with strips of washi tape and then wondered how to make the numbers for each peg. Andrew came up with the brilliant idea of using a laser cutter to cut out each number - sometimes it's quite handy having a mechanical engineer with access to a workshop for a husband!
 
Knitted advent stockings

Knitted advent stockings
 
 
All I did then was use some glue dots to stick the numbers onto white card and then stuck the card onto the tops of the pegs, hanging up the stockings in numerical order.
 
Knitted advent stockings

Knitted advent stockings
 
 
I don't think it looks too bad, it was certainly good practice at doing stitches such as kfb and pfb and the biggest bonus is that we can reuse it every year!
 
Knitted advent stockings
 
 
Have you knitted (or made) anything for Christmas this year?
 

7 comments:

  1. The stockings look great! Especially as they're all a bit different. I've been crocheting some baubles, the bauble bits and the little 'metal' bit at the tops have all been made, now for the rather less interesting task of sewing them together. Must get a move on, as some are presents and the last posting date is coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look brilliant- I love how much effort you put into all the little details xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fab, and I love the effort you put into the pegs. I always try and make something at Christmas- this year I made my cards and have also done a few small updates for the house, as well as my evergreen wreath. I love being able to look at something and think, "that's completely unique and I made it". So much more special than just buying stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your advent stockings, they're soo cute, I think I'm going to have to make a crochet version for next year (if I start now it might be ready for next year too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks incredible! I wish I could knit x

    Under Blue Lights

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look fantastic - you've done a great job and I love how you decorated the pegs. I was thinking the other day how i'd love to make something lasting like a sewn/cross stitched advent calender, need to hunt down some inspiration and get crafting for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, well done, Lou!! They're fantastic! I meant to knit some, but then the boys said that they wanted a Star Wars LEGO calender so I never bothered making a string of stockings.

    I did crochet a couple of sparkly snowflake garlands for a charity sale, but our house sadly lacks anything handmade at the moment.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...