Saturday 20 April 2013

Back to University

My University years were spent in the Lancashire town of Preston - just a town when I started studying and England's newest city by the time I'd graduated.
 
On our way between Wales and Blackpool, we stopped off to explore my old student stomping ground. The University has dramatically altered with a new student union and several new departments and buildings but the city centre itself doesn't seem to have changed much.
 
Preston market hall
Preston's Grade II listed market was completed in 1875 and is probably one of the most impressive market structures in the UK, albeit in need of a bit of TLC!

Preston
 
 
Booth's sign, Preston


Preston

Preston train station

I lost count of the amount of hours I waited at both Preston Train Station and Preston Bus Station whilst travelling between Uni and back home. The bus station is very much a modernist 1960's building (built in the late 60's) and is definately a 'marmite' building - people either love it or hate it.

Preston bus station

At the moment the Council want to demolish it but there is a band of volunteers campaigning to get it listed (see Preston Bus Station for the latest). I don't think it should be knocked down but I will admit it's not the nicest of places to arrive back to at 10pm on a Sunday evening!

Preston bus station
 
What do you think? Love it or hate it?
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...