Saturday 11 July 2015

This...

Random picture of some nice ducklings at work


This...is why I've been such a crappy blogger, blog reader and especially blog commenter over the last couple of months.

This...is why I had a week or so of feeling (and being) pretty darn sick back in May (and couldn't complete BEDM).

And this...is part of (but not the only) reason why we bought ourselves a new car.


This is Findus*.



Travel back in time to 1st May 2014 and I was having an egg collection operation as part of our second IVF (ICSI) treatment. They collected 10 eggs on that occasion and 8 of them fertilised overnight. By the 6th May 2014, two of the little embryos were looking really good; one of them was transferred to me there and then (which sadly wasn't successful); the other plunged into a freezer at -196°C to be stored ready for us to use at a later date.

That later date was originally September and I started taking the medication in August last year. The transfer date was all set for 19th September and then what did I do on 18th September? Fell off my own doorstep and spectacularly fractured my ankle, that's what.

Fast forward 6 months from September (the length of time the orthopaedic consultant specified I had to wait for everything to heal) and I started taking the medication again in March.

Exactly 1 year to the day, on 1st May 2015 that frozen embryo was defrosted and transferred. Two weeks later, for the first time in 3 and half years, we actually saw those two little lines on a pregnancy test.



Today is 12 weeks and 4 days and in theory (keeping everything it's possible to cross, crossed) Findus should be joining us in January.

At the moment, it's about 25% excitement, 25% disbelief and 50% 'oh-my-god-I-can't-get-too-excited-because-I'll-jinx-it-but-what-if-I-don't-believe-in-it-surely-that'll-jinx-it-too?' thoughts. We've had three scans so far - two early ones at the fertility clinic and one normal 12 week one at the local hospital (which strangely, was done at 10 weeks and 5 days). All the medical people seem to have a hundred times more confidence than I do; what's going through my mind all the time is "my body hasn't worked properly for the last 3 and half years so what on earth makes everyone think it's going to work now?"

I'm hoping all those thoughts are fairly normal though.



*Obviously we're not going to put 'Findus' on the birth certificate but we did think it was rather appropriate for a little one who spent a year in the freezer.

28 comments:

  1. Findus is a nice name, you should use it or at least a middle name!!! I am very happy for you- praying for you too.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOUISA!!!!!!!! Congratulations! Spartacus and I have our fingers tightly crossed for a lovely smooth pregnancy - can't wait to hear more about Findus. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, congratulations! How exciting for you both, hope it all goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Argh that's so exciting for you guys! I was wondering how you were getting on with all this. I love the name Findus just like I loved Spartacus, I'm going to call them that forever more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful news for you. I am sure all those feelings are quite normal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooh Louisa that is such wonderful news! I haven't been reading along in a while but I saw the update on Facebook and I just had to post a comment. Congratulations for you and Andrew both (or should I say, the three of you, now?).
    And the picture of the Mama Duck with her little ducklings is actually really appropriate for this kind of news, isn't it? An expected duckling in your duckpond, yay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness, this post made me smile SO much! I am so, so pleased for your little family! Massive massive massive congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the best news I've read in ages. Huge congratulations Louisa & Andrew x

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY!!! I am SO happy for you & Andrew! As soon as I saw the ducklings on my Bloglovin feed I said, "can it be... is she...?" I'm so glad I guessed right!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm still bouncing off the walls with excitement for you! You might find that Findus sticks as a nickname for a while... We had a very early scan, squinted at the screen and said, "What, it's that speck there?". Lucas was Speck for a very, very long time. Surprised he doesn't answer to it, actually ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Findus is a perfectly respectable moniker!!
    Sending all of the congratulations, love and happy shiny vibes in your very specific direction.
    M x

    ReplyDelete
  12. HUGE Congratulations to you both! So exciting :D. Love the nickname too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pleased for you both. A woman who goes to my crop had IVF and her lovely boy, Rufus, arrived safely in March. Wishing you the same luck.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't normally comment on blogs because I'm too shy (I know, weird) but I've been following your blog for ages so I'm genuinely over the moon for you and just had to say something! Congratulations! Hope everything goes well for you all. Also oving the wee nickname hehe xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great news! Congrats to you both x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Huge congratulations! This is the BEST NEWS EVER! I'm so happy for you both. All worries are perfectly normal (I know I felt the same). It won't be too long and you'll start to feel little findus move. This will be very reassuring. Much love to you both (all) from Anne-Marie xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nothing much more I can say other than CONGRATULATIONS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow thats great news.Congrats to you both.xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations Louisa!! So very happy for you both! Findus is the perfect nickname xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahhh, massive congratulations, Louisa! That's such incredible, exciting news!

    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations, absolutely amazing news.

    Findus has to be the best name I've heard to date!

    ReplyDelete
  22. (Bit angry at myself that I read this a week ago and didnt comment - so sorry)

    Aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I am still so 1000000000% over the flipping moon for you guys. You are so deserving and I cannot wait to see the first family picture. When I found out it literally made my year to hear that good things do come to those who wait and hope and dream.
    Again Louisa, all of my love and congratulations to you both. I truly cant express my excitment for you enough haha

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. OH MY GOD CONGRATULATIONS IAMSOEXCITEDFORYOUGUYS EEEEEEPPPP!!!!!!!!! *takes deep breath and tries to calm self*

    I will be keeping everything crossed for you that the nausea abates soon and everything goes fantastically. *waves at Findus, grinning like happy lunatic*

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow congratulations Louisa! I don't know your back story but it sounds like it's been a rough ride. Gosh the things they can do nowadays eh, baby in the freezer indeed! :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Massive congratulations to you Louise, that's such wonderful news! I really hope everything goes smoothly and without a hitch now for you, it sounds like it's been hard going so I really do wish all the best for you with this, you deserve it! And the duck photo is so cute too! - Tasha

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...