Thursday, 30 April 2015

April Books

Not too good this month, only 3 books read towards my GoodReads goal of 52 this year. It's strange really, in previous years I've read the most books on holiday and not many during normal working weeks - this year it seems to be the opposite!

Monthly Reads - April



Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter

Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter

This is the first in a series all about teenage life on Guernsey in the 1990s following two girls, Renee and Flo, their friendships and what they get up to. I was a teenager in the 1990s so I recognised a lot of the stuff in the story but the interactions between all the characters are pretty timeless and would be the same whatever decade you grew up in. It's a good tale, well written and brought to life quite vividly. I've got the second book in the series (Goose) sat on my to-read shelf at the moment and hopefully I'll get round to starting it in May.


Pretty Honest by Sali Hughes

Pretty Honest by Sali Hughes

I heard about this one from the lovely girls who run the Bookish Blether podcast (Holly and Nicola) and being someone who would describe myself as "not that into makeup" I thought perhaps I should give it a go. It's non fiction written by beauty journalist, Sali Hughes and contains a lot of information and advice about skincare and makeup - and I mean A LOT. She certainly does know her stuff and I took note of a few points in the book. Probably the sort of book you'd dip into depending on what you wanted to know but still worth a read.


Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes
 
Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes
 
I spotted this on display during the Bath Literature Festival and was quite intrigued. The tagline says it's "very funny" and well, it's very good but not quite laugh-out-loud funny. It tells the tale Adolf Hitler who wakes up in 2011 and through a series of mistakes and misunderstood comments, suddenly becomes a YouTube sensation and TV celebrity. I think I'd use the phrase "very clever" rather than "very funny", especially the ending which, if you have even a basic idea of history, you should be able to spot the neat little circle the author creates.
 

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't that fussed on Paper Aeroplanes (although I'm not that fussed on Dawn Porter so maybe that's why!) but the other two sound good, I'll add them to the library list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Paper Aeroplanes but couldn't finish Goose - it went back to the library pretty quickly! I saw Look Who's Back in Waterstones the other day and was intrigued, so am interested to hear your opinion of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your lovely comments; I do have every intention of replying but sometimes life with a baby gets in the way...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...