Thursday 30 April 2015

April Books

Not too good this month, only 3 books read towards my GoodReads goal of 52 this year. It's strange really, in previous years I've read the most books on holiday and not many during normal working weeks - this year it seems to be the opposite!

Monthly Reads - April



Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter

Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O'Porter

This is the first in a series all about teenage life on Guernsey in the 1990s following two girls, Renee and Flo, their friendships and what they get up to. I was a teenager in the 1990s so I recognised a lot of the stuff in the story but the interactions between all the characters are pretty timeless and would be the same whatever decade you grew up in. It's a good tale, well written and brought to life quite vividly. I've got the second book in the series (Goose) sat on my to-read shelf at the moment and hopefully I'll get round to starting it in May.


Pretty Honest by Sali Hughes

Pretty Honest by Sali Hughes

I heard about this one from the lovely girls who run the Bookish Blether podcast (Holly and Nicola) and being someone who would describe myself as "not that into makeup" I thought perhaps I should give it a go. It's non fiction written by beauty journalist, Sali Hughes and contains a lot of information and advice about skincare and makeup - and I mean A LOT. She certainly does know her stuff and I took note of a few points in the book. Probably the sort of book you'd dip into depending on what you wanted to know but still worth a read.


Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes
 
Look Who's Back by Timur Vermes
 
I spotted this on display during the Bath Literature Festival and was quite intrigued. The tagline says it's "very funny" and well, it's very good but not quite laugh-out-loud funny. It tells the tale Adolf Hitler who wakes up in 2011 and through a series of mistakes and misunderstood comments, suddenly becomes a YouTube sensation and TV celebrity. I think I'd use the phrase "very clever" rather than "very funny", especially the ending which, if you have even a basic idea of history, you should be able to spot the neat little circle the author creates.
 

2 comments:

  1. I wasn't that fussed on Paper Aeroplanes (although I'm not that fussed on Dawn Porter so maybe that's why!) but the other two sound good, I'll add them to the library list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed Paper Aeroplanes but couldn't finish Goose - it went back to the library pretty quickly! I saw Look Who's Back in Waterstones the other day and was intrigued, so am interested to hear your opinion of it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...