Friday 13 February 2015

Nine Mushy Screen Stories for Valentine's Day

Humans like a good love story don't they? And at the heart of every good story is always a good couple, battling against the odds, triumphing against adversity and riding the rollercoaster to culminate in a fabulous gooey lovey-dovey ending.


 
These are my faves complete with the lines that make them all wonderful...


Brown Bear and White Bear (Brown Bear's Wedding, 1991)

Bumbling Brown Bear is in love with beautiful White Bear but how to make her notice him? After a small amount of furry stalking she falls in love with him too and they skate away to a bear-shaped heaven. There's famous voices in this little gem as well with Hugh Laurie and Helen Bonham Carter playing Owl and White Bear respectively.



This is part 3 of 3 (the others can be found on YouTube as well) and the soppy bit is about 3 and half minutes in.

Brown Bear {writing a letter to White Bear}: Dear White Bear, your eyes are like stars and your fur is whiter than the moon. You have captured my heart. Will you look at the moon and stars with me, forever?
White Bear {grabs her scarf and sends it on the wind to Brown Bear}
Brown Bear {scarf floats through the window}: She loves me!



Jack Skellington and Sally (The Nightmare before Christmas, 1993)

I'm sure everyone would have this on their list but I reckon that's simply because, well, it's magical. When Jack comes back and walks up the snowy hill to her - A.MAZING. I also can't read these lines without hearing them sung in my head.



Jack {to Sally}: My dearest friend, if you don't mind, I'd like to join you by your side...where we can gaze into the stars.
Jack and Sally {together}: And sit together, now and forever, for it is plain, as anyone can see, we're simply meant to be.



Sister Bernadette (aka Shelagh) and Dr Patrick Turner (Call the Midwife, 2012 and ongoing)

A classic will-they-won't-they story, I loved watching Shelagh and Dr Turner grow closer and there were certainly plenty of times I had "kiss her, kiss her!" screaming through my head.

Call the Midwife scene
Can't find a video of the ultimate moment, at least, I can't find one which hasn't been made into some kind of fanvid or had a soundtrack added to it...

{Shelagh's walking home from the sanatorium and Dr Turner's been driving round frantically trying to find her}
Dr Turner: What if it had starting raining? What if you'd got lost?
Sister Bernadette: I was lost. I got the wrong bus.
Dr Turner: I was on the right road.
Sister Bernadette: Yes. I know you so little but I couldn't be more certain.
Dr Turner: I am completely certain. I don't even know your name!
Sister Bernadette: Shelagh.
Dr Turner: Patrick.
Sister Bernadette: There. We've made a start.



Jack and Amy (Jack and Sarah, 1995)

I loved this film as a teenager, I mean, properly LOVED, fan-girling over Richard E. Grant and everything. I actually met him back in 2002 at the stage door after he'd performed in 'The Play What I Wrote' and he was just as lovely as you'd imagine he'd be (plus just as good looking!).

Jack and Sarah scene
You can actually watch the whole movie on YouTube but can I find a clip of the ending? Of course not.

Amy {to Sarah, the baby}: I missed you.
Jack {to Amy}: I missed you too.
Amy: Oh, I wasn't talking to you but I'm flattered nonetheless.
Jack: That is, we, we missed you. Both of us. We want you back.
Amy: My rate's gone up. You can't afford me.
Jack: *Not* as a nanny.
Amy: In that case, you certainly can't afford me!



Dr 'Mac' Macartney and Caroline Todd (Green Wing, 2004 - 2007)

I'll admit, I only discovered Green Wing last autumn but it's quickly shot into my list of all-time favourite TV shows as well as all-time favourite romances. I know a lot of people like the very first kiss between Mac and Caroline but I much prefer their "proper kiss". I'm not a fan of the word 'squee' but it's highly appropriate when you're watching that scene.

Green Wing scene
I don't mind people adding their own soundtracks to clips on YouTube but I really wish they'd upload the original clip as well! Instead you'll just have to click here to watch the whole Mac and Caroline saga from start to finish (and drool over Mac of course...).

{discussing under what circumstances Mac would actually kiss his ex-girlfriend}
Caroline: Even if she was the last person left on the planet?
Mac: Where am I then?
Caroline: Oh no, no, there's two of you, one of them's you and Holly is the only woman.
Mac: Okay. If she's the last woman on the planet, I would kiss her and fall on my sword.
Caroline: You have a sword?
Mac: Yeah, it wouldn't even be a proper kiss.
Caroline: What's a proper kiss?
Mac {swoops in to give Caroline a "proper kiss"}



Joe Harper and Nina Raymond (In the Bleak Midwinter, 1995)

A bit of an obscure one, this was a black and white Kenneth Branagh film about a group of eccentric actors putting on a production of Hamlet at Christmas. It's incredibly good and stars all sorts of famous faces but for some unknown reason, it's never been released on DVD this side of the pond. Nina is the actress hired to play Ophelia, a short-sighted, ditzy but sweet girl who captures the heart of Joe, her Hamlet and director of the whole show.

In The Bleak Midwinter scene

{dancing together after the first successful performance of Hamlet}
Joe: You know, despite my immense purity of soul and being cleansed by my art, I'm still going to get depressed and mad.
Nina: Yes but we can get depressed together, that's fun!
Joe: Aren't you always going to be optimistic?
Nina: No, I'm going to be miserable and fat and have a huge saggy arse.
Joe: Ooh lovely, you can just feel it starting...



Hubie and Marina (The Pebble and the Penguin, 1995)

Happy Feet is good, but this is the film that really pioneered the way in penguin love stories. Based on the true mating rituals of Adelie penguin in Antarctic where all male penguins have to find their one true pebble to present to their mate, Hubie (the hapless star) has fallen in love with the most beautiful girl of all, Marina. Drake, the horrible penguin wants Marina for himself though and tries getting rid of Hubie for good. Cue lots of adventures across the high seas, picking up a crazy friend along the way and a struggle to get back to the South Pole before the end of the mating ceremony. It's a musical with songs by Barry Manilow but don't let that put you off, they're incredibly catchy choons!

The Pebble and the Penguin scene

 {gives Marina the pebble he's been carrying around for the entire film}
Hubie: Like it?
Marina: I love it!
Hubie: Good.
Marina: But don't you know, it's not the pebble, it's the penguin. I love *you* even more...



Laura Jesson and Dr Alec Harvey (Brief Encounter, 1945)

This was a fairly obvious one methinks: forbidden love, romance and steam? Ticks every box. Beautifully shot, evocative and a heart-breaking storyline, this is one classic romance everyone should watch.



Alec: Oh Laura my dear, I do love you, so very much. I love you with all my heart and soul.
Laura: I want to die. If only I could die...
Alec: If you died, you'd forget me. I want to be remembered.



June and Peter Carter (A Matter of Life and Death, 1946)

I love Powell and Pressburger's films and this one and The Red Shoes are my favourites. Peter Carter is a British pilot who's about to die and on his way down he contacts June, an American radio operator who appears to be the last person he'll ever speak to. Little does Peter know though, Death (in the form of the guide, 'Conductor 71') gets lost in the fog and Peter overstays his welcome on Earth leaving him time to fall head over heels in love with June. The Other World wants him though and he has to fight for his right to stay alive, complete with celestial courtroom, lawyers and a stairway to heaven. It's brilliant. Utterly bonkers but brilliant anyway. David Niven isn't half bad to look at as well.


This is the start of the film - possibly one of the best opening sequences ever. If you'd like to watch the whole film, you can do so here.

Far too many brilliant lines to mention although this one from the courtroom is rather good:
Doctor Reeves {in the Other World}: Yes Mr Farlan, nothing is stronger than The Law in the Universe but on Earth, nothing is stronger than Love.



What about you? Any favourite couples or stories?
 

5 comments:

  1. Some great choices here :) Its early so I can only think of the obvious ones I enjoy such as Mark Darcy saying to Bridget ' I like you just the way you are' and the scene at the end if Breakfast at Tiffanys where 'Cat' is desperatly searched for and reunited with Holly. Love that scene! Not long ago saw A Matter of Life and Death and really enjoyed it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've still never seen Brief Encounter- I really should!
    One of my favourites, cheesy but true, has to be Rick and Ilsa in Casablanca. I love that film!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that Ross and Rachel towards the end of Series 10 in Friends will be my classic.

    Lizzie Dripping

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Brief Encounter, what a fabulous film and a firm favorite of mine! Richard E. Grant has always been a favorite of mine, especially in the Scarlet Pimpernel! I have to say Scarlet and Rhett in Gone With the Wind, sometimes they seem the worse combination ever, sometimes they seem just the right fit for one another. Their chemistry is so firey yet it's filled with so much torment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed reading this post! I actually posted my favourite couples in a post for Valentine's Day and it was so much fun thinking of my favourites - we've managed to pick completely different couples though which shows how many wonderful love stories there are on-screen!

    x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...